Saturday, June 30, 2012

 "Web", 2001, oil/baltic birch, 23"-24" (for Philip Guston). Part of my "Talmudic Abstractions" series. From 2001 to 2004 after completing ten years of my triptych series, I decided to base a new series on the format of the Jewish Talmud with it's central text from the Torah surrounded by commentaries. The series was done in memory of my grandfather, a Torah scribe, and his two daughters, my aunts,  who died in the Holocaust. Because of these paintings, I have been included in the book "The Dictionary of Jewish Painters" by Professor Lucian Regenbogen. The book contains the names of over 1000 Jewish painters including Chagall, Soutine and Rothko. Many of my pieces from the "Talmudic Abstractions" were shown in organizations and synagogues representing the Reform, Conservative and Orthodox(Chabad) movements in Judaism. The Talmud format puts everyone from these groups in agreement. More from this series and the "Triptych Series" may be seen by scrolling through the rest of "The Salzmines".

No comments: